Wednesday, July 2, 2008

In Pop Culture: TV Shows with Superman/Clois References


As an iconic figure, Superman (with Lois Lane) has often been the subject of references in films and television shows, as well as the subject of many homages and parodies. Wikipedia has a list of both TV shows and films with Superman/Clois references.


Below are the following TV SHOWS with Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane References compiled by Clois fans (and members at FD2C Forum):



Jerry Seinfeld

Lois is Jerry's girlfriend in The Race, apparently dating her only because of her name and his obsession with Superman.

Lois: So you were the fastest kid in school?
Jerry: Faster than a speeding bullet Lois.
JERRY: Ready to go Lois?
LOIS: You really like to say my name? Don't you?

JERRY: Excuse me Lois. Stand back Lois. Jimmy's in trouble Lois.


Lois: So, will you come with me to Hawaii, Jerry?
Jerry: Maybe I will Lois. Maybe I will. *winks*

Watch a YouTube video of The Race episode below:


[source: bfett81]

~*~

Jerry: You can't cast aspersions on someone just because they're wearing a cape. Superman wore a cape. And I'll be damned if I stand by and let you say anything bad about him...


Speaking of Seinfeld and his many Superman references...

Watch the Seinfeld - The Clip Show - Superman Montage below:


[source: greataplomb15]

~*~
Friends

Joey: It just seems so futile, you know ? All these women, and nothing. I feel like Superman without my powers, you know? I have the cape, and yet I cannot fly.

Ross: …and the miracle was that that little bit of oil that should’ve just lasted just one day, burned for…

Ben: (answering him) Eight whole days.

Ross: That’s right, and that’s why we celebrate Hanukkah today. The end.
Ben: Awesome!

Ross: Yeah?

Chandler: My favorite part was when Superman flew all the Jews out of Egypt. (Glaring at Joey who’s nodding.)

Ross: The Armadillo was actually not so thrilled about that part! Okay Ben, it’s time to light the Hanukkah candles! (Santa, Superman, Monica, Ben, and the Holiday Armadillo go over to the menorah to light the candles.)

Phoebe: Okay, I understand why Superman is here, but why is there a porcupine at the Easter Bunny’s funeral?

~*~

Season 7.10 - The One with the Holiday Armadillo

Joey dressed up as Superman
[friends caps source: Friends Cafe]




~*~

Season 8.06 - The One with the Halloween Party

Phoebe dressed up as Supergirl
[friends caps source: Friends Cafe]



~*~

"Ugly Betty"

Henry was wearing a Superman alike shirt under his suit and he takes off his glasses and shows the Superman S before he said "Secret Identity"


~*~


Will & Grace

Will: "I can't. Remember? I'm starting my new job at the Coalition for Justice. It's exciting because I'm gonna get to help people. But also because the Coalition for Justice sounds like the kind of place where superheroes work, you know? I'm like the gay Superman. Waiting to meet my Louis Lane."


~*~

Jack: Now, we have a very special friend joining us today. He is an acting legend, known for such memorable roles as...

Jack reads the long resume...

JACK: Oh, get out of town! You did a "Lois and Clark?" Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. James Earl Jones of TV's "Lois and Clark." Make some noise.


~*~


Queer as Folk

Michael: Why am I always Lois Lane?



~*~

Angel

Cordelia: She'd be Superman. What's the diff' in how she sees, anyway? So she can get a look at the bars of her cell. Why are we still talking about this?


~*~


The Apprentice

Kwame Jackson: Troy was wearing a suit earlier in the day. When he decided we were all gonna have fun, he basically said, you know, "I'm gonna put on my cowboy hat." And like Superman, he got in the booth and changed. He was no longer Clark Kent. He became Troy, the Cosmic Cowboy.


~*~


Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Xander: [facetiously] But, gee, Mr. White, if Clark and Lois get all the stories, I'll never going to be a good reporter.

Buffy: This is the 90's. The 1990's, in point of fact, and I can do both. Clark Kent has a job. I just wanna go on a date.


~*~

Xander: You know, maybe we're on the wrong track with the whole spell,
curse and whammy thing. Maybe what we should be looking for is something
like, um, (ahem) Slayer kryptonite.
Oz: Faulty metaphor. Kryptonite kills.

Xander: You're assuming I meant the green kryptonite. I was referring,
of course, to the red kryptonite, which drains Superman of his powers.

Oz: (thinks) Wrong. The gold kryptonite's the power-sucker. The red
kryptonite mutates Superman into some sort of weird...

Buffy: (impatiently) Guys? Reality?

~*~

Riley: How do *you* explain the things we deal with, Forrest??
Forrest: They're just animals, man, plain and simple. Granted they're a little rarer than the one's you grew up with on that little farm in Smallville...?


~*~

The Simpsons

Homer: I'm not normally a religious man,
but if you're up there, save me, Superman!










~*~



The Facts of Life

Natalie was trying to get a big article written for her highschool newspaper but was having difficulty.
Tootie: "Even Lois Lane has a day like this every once in a while."
Natalie: "Yeah... but look who she gets to come home to."




~*~

Roswell

* in this one Kyle is concerned about 'become" an alien and Tess makes jokes on him:

Tess: I don’t know what’s going to happen to you. You know, maybe nothing will happen. Or maybe you could develop superpowers and start flying all over Roswell in a big cape. I don’t know!

But the more Clois are these Max & Liz scenes from S3:

* [Max reading from Liz's letter]

Liz: Dear max, it's so horrible and so unjust to pass you in school and have to wonder whether some teacher's going to call my father. But no matter how hard my parents try, nothing can keep us apart. I love you, and even when I can't see you in the day, I see you at night in my dreams. And I have been. Dreaming about you. Over and over, it's you and me holding hands and flying through the night. I know it sounds cornball, but it isn't. It's amazing, like superman and Lois lane in the first movie. You know, the good one.
* [Max smiles. After a moment, he turns back to take the lid off the cooker.]

Max: ...A trick I learned from Superman. Let's see if it really works.

[Liz half way smiles, and is watching him, curious. He picks a charcoal briquette out of the cooker and encloses it in his hand. With great effort he squeezes it, and bright white energy emanates from his fist. After a moment, he wipes the object in his hand on the bottom of his shirt.]

[Max slowly turns back to face Liz, then walks over to her. Holding her gaze, he gets down on one knee, and holds out the diamond he has just made.]

Liz: Oh my g...


~*~


Charmed

Phoebe and her new boss was talking about how the newsroom wasn't very busy.
Jason: It's just I grew up reading comic books. The Daily Planet.
Phoebe: Well in all fairness Superman can move faster than a speeding bullet...



~*~

Elise: Ahh, if it isn't the little wife.
Phoebe: Actually, it's not. My marriage is over. All except for the paperwork.
Elise: Don't let your readers here you say that. Who wants to take advice from the woman who's divorcing Superman?

~*~

Piper: Mm-hm. Must have been the pink leather, broke you down.
Paige: Don't laugh, but I think it might've been. Something about leaping over tall buildings in a single bound. I guess that'll free any girl up.


~*~


Sabrina the Teenage Witch

It was an episode where one of the witches casts a spell on someone and they live out their childhood dream and Sabrina's boyfriend gets the spell cast on him, and he becomes "Mighty Teen"

He goes on to save Sabrina's life, and she says "My hero, now I know why Superman ruined Lois Lane for other men."





~*~


Gilmore Girls

Rory: No, my insane mother Margot Kidder Gilmore woke me up!"

~*~

Sandra: Oh. Childhood wasn’t so warm and fuzzy?
Lorelai:You know Superman’s fortress of solitude? A Jamaican beach, compared to my mother’s house.

~*~

Lorelai: That's cute.
Rory: Yeah? But i'm not looking for cute for an interview in a newspaper.
Lorelai: You are looking for Brenda Star... You are looking for Lois Lane.

~*~

Rory: All right. Good. We were actually at a loss for where to go, so you actually saved us.
Logan: Call me Superman.


~*~

LORELAI: Hey, Luke.
LUKE: Look at this.
LORELAI: Who, Lane? She's super waitress, able to leap tall pancakes in a single bound.


~*~

Rory: I’m trying to figure out what to wear on my first day at the paper.
Logan: Ah, the internship rears its ugly head again.
Rory: I want to look professional but not too Lois Lane-y, and I don’t want to look like a college kid.

~*~

Stargate SG-1

In the last episode of Stargate SG-1 the team gets trapped on a spaceship stuck in a time dilation field. When they try to solve the problem and make time go normal again, they have this little conversation:

Cameron: See what we need is, we need Superman to fly around the ship really, really fast.

Sam: Oh, if you only knew how ridiculous that was.

Cameron: No, it only sounds ridiculous 'til you hear yourself say "I am trapped on a spaceship stuck in a time dilation field."



~*~

Heroes



(Heroes quotes taken from imdb.com)
"Heroes: Chapter Six 'Better Halves' (#1.6)" (2006/II)
Micah Sanders: Dad, how'd you get out of jail?
D.L. Hawkins: Between you and me... I walked out.
Micah Sanders: Out of prison? How'd you do it?
D.L. Hawkins: Ain't no jail can hold your old man.
Micah Sanders: Why not?
D.L. Hawkins: Cause I got a secret.
Micah Sanders: Like Superman?
D.L. Hawkins: Yeah. Just like Superman.

Micah Sanders: [to DL] Mommy's got a secret too.



Also, another episode, Episode 2.10 - Truth & Consequences in Season 2, Monica mentioned Clark Kent when she was talking to brother Damon and cousin Micah (Niki Sanders' son) about secret identities, comic book superheroes. Here are the quotes:

Damon: Six hundred bucks for a comic book?
Micah: In mint condition. That's not why I collect them, I just like the stories.
Monica: Hey, if St. Joan's a good guy, they why is she wearing a hood?
Micah: Well, every superheroes has to have a secret identity. How else could they have a normal life? But if your enemies knew who you really were, then, they'd be coming after you at home. Maybe even take revenge on your family.

Monica: That's why Clark Kent wears those glasses.

Micah: Right.



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin